Monday, August 31, 2009

Week Two: biscuits, scones, pies, flan, creme brulee, eclairs, and cream puffs

Week two stepped the program up a bit, and had us multi-tasking. Remember your pie in the oven at 375 degrees, your creme brulee at 325 degrees, then make your pate a choux while planning enough time to make the creams for the different fillings. Fun, but busy.

This was my first real pie crust, since the only other time I have ever made one turned out less than expected. Since then I have purchased frozen crusts, but most people never know the difference anyway.

All in all, chef was pleased with my products. I had a bit of difficulty with the caramel, simply because that stuff is hard, and there's a reason I typically don't make candy. But now I know how to make a killer creme brulee, and I want a blowtorch for Christmas.

As always, Dave's co-workers were thrilled to have goodies to chow on, and I even got him to admit that he likes more sweets than he originally thought. His defense? "I guess I've never had good eclairs before." Why thank you, dear hubby! ;-)

Next week we move on to cakes. I think I'm most excited for cakes and yeast doughs. I'm just a sucker for bread; what can I say?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget one of David's first words was "Donies"!
    (donuts) - I think he'll enjoy that week alot :-)

    ReplyDelete