Sunday, September 19, 2010

The World Bursts Into Flames At 5 am

In the last five weeks, since I have been on the night shift at the bakery, I have seen three separate incidents of fire.

Incident #1: A structure fire down the street from our bakery. A strip mall burst into flames, probably because of the thrift store at the end. Nothing burns like cheap furniture and polyester.

Incident #2: A brush fire at the 91 / 605 fwy interchange. Brush fires aren't anything new here in Southern California, however this was on a wedge of grass between two freeways and a parking lot. How did this happen?

Incident #3: This morning, something large was on fire in the Cerritos area off the 91 fwy. It was far enough away on the freeway I couldn't see it, but large enough I was thankful to be away from it.

My husband tells me fires are more common at night because no one is around to see them, stop them, and report them before they completely consume whatever is around them.

I continue to be amazed at the things I find out living on the other side of the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment